Alkaline Water Machines have been getting a lot of press lately. You hear everything from alkaline water can cure cancer to help you lose weight. But can any of these claims really be true? What are alkaline water machines anyway?
You will also see a huge variation in prices, anywhere from $300 to $4500. Why is there such a huge difference in price ranges?
Most people have many questions when trying to decide which is the best alkaline water machine:
- What is the difference between the different types of machines?
- How much do you need to invest in order to get the benefits?
- Which is the best value for the money?
First, we will check out the main features in our comparison chart so you can see how the top-selling alkaline water machines stack up against each other.
Then we will answer some of the top questions most people have when shopping for an alkaline water machine.
The 7 Best Alkaline Water Machines – Our Comparison and Reviews
We’ve researched the best alkaline water ionizer machines and created our “best in class” list. We focused on the name brands we know and trust since this is an important purchase and we wanted to make sure to only recommend products from customers with a long history of making good quality ionizers.
Disclosure: Links to the products on this page are included where you can learn more or buy the product. If you buy an item via links on this page, we may earn a commission.
Want to know who made the list? Here are our top 7 choices for 2021.
- Bawell 2195 Platinum Water Ionizer
- Air Water Life Deluxe 7.0 Water Ionizer
- Aqua Ionizer Deluxe 9.0
- Pure Hydration Next Generation
- Life Ionizer MXL-9
- Life Ionizer MXL-15
- Tyent UCE-11 Under Counter Water Ionizer
The list is broken down into 2 sections: Countertop Water Ionizers & Under the Counter models, since the price can vary quite a bit depending on the style.
Countertop Alkaline Water Ionizers
The first 5 products on our list are in the countertop group which means the display unit will sit on top of your kitchen counter.
Where we’ve mentioned a conversion kit in the Features section, it means there is an optional kit you can purchase to mount under your sink. Keep in mind if you want to change the settings, such as the pH level, you’ll need to do so under the counter.
1. Bawell 2195 Platinum Water Ionizer – Our Choice for the Best Looking Countertop System
- pH Range: 2.0 to 12.0
- ORP Range: +600 to -800
- Plates: 7
- Type: Countertop
- Filter Life: 5,000 liters
- Dimensions: 11.8 x 6.2 x 15.2 inches
- Cost: $$
Top features: Sleek modern design with a high flow rate.
The Bawell Platinum Alkaline Water Ionizer Machine is a versatile solution for clean, ionized water. Installation is easy and should only take about 30 minutes, but Bawell has included a quick how-to video in case you have trouble.
This unit requires a low level of maintenance, only needing a filter change every 1,320 gallons. Depending on your water usage, that may only be once a year for you. There is a filter life counter displayed on the front of the machine to make it easy for you to remember. This machine also has voice prompts that will alert you when you’re nearing the end of your filter life.
This Bawell model purifies and filters tap water or well water into suitable drinking water with a two-stage internal filtration system and an optional three-stage external filtration system for areas with more contaminants in their water system.
Things to consider: May not be compatible with well-water systems that don’t have consistent pressure. Check your water pressure before deciding on this model as a minimum of 20 pounds of pressure (psi) is required for it to produce alkaline water.
2. Air Water Life Deluxe 7.0 Water Ionizer – Our Favorite Choice for the Price
- pH Range: 4.5 to 10
- ORP Range: +600 to -750
- Plates: 7
- Type: Countertop with Conversion Kit
- Power: 150 Watts
- Filter Life: 6,000 liters
- Size: 5.2 x 4.3 x 13 inches
- Cost: $
Top Features: Customer favorite at a great price
Each filter of the Aqua Ionizer Deluxe 7.0 can purify 1585 gallons of water before needing to be changed, which can be up to a year. It includes seven platinum-coated titanium plates to ensure durability and long life.
A helpful feature of this unit is that it cleans itself. It reverses its polarity after every use and auto-washes its plates after every ten gallons. It includes a backlit LCD display for easy reading in bright light and in the dark.
With seven different healthy water settings, you can achieve the ideal drinking water your family needs. Its sleek design is also easy to use. You have complete control over your water purification process with adjustable settings. And like most other water ionizers, it’s easy to install in just minutes.
3. Aqua Ionizer Deluxe 9.0 Aqua-Ionizer Pro
- pH Range: 3.5 to 11.5
- ORP Range: -860 to +1000
- Plates: 9
- Type: Countertop with Conversion Kit
- Power: 350 Watts
- Filter Life: 4,000 Liters
- Size: 11 x 4.5 x 8 inches
- Cost: $$
Top Features: Better pH Range & Higher Power
This is the upgraded version of the Air Water Life 7 plate system. It boasts a higher pH range, an additional 200 watts of power, and an upgraded warranty when compared to its predecessor.
The control panel on the front of the unit gives you the option of choosing seven different types of water: cooking, cleaning, coffee/tea, daily drinking, purified water, and 12 different pH levels.
If you like the Air Water Life 7.0 model, but need a wider pH range and more power than this might be the better choice for your household water needs.
Don’t miss our latest review that compares all 5 of the water ionizers by Air Water Life, including their latest model with Antioxidant Boosting Technology.
4. Pure Hydration Next Generation – Great Looking Budget Option for Drinking Alkaline Water
- pH Range: 9.0 to 9.5
- ORP Range: -450
- Type: Countertop with Under Counter Option
- Filter Life: 2,300 liters/608 gallons
- Filter Cost: $$
- Size: 14 x 8 x 14 inches
- Cost: $
Top Features: Excellent water filtration at an affordable price
Pure Hydration has been making water filtration systems for some time now, but the Next Generation model is a significant upgrade. You still get alkaline, hydrogen-rich water, but with a sleek new design and plenty of extra features that make it easier and more fun to use.
This model comes with an infrared sensor for hands-free operation. Just wave your hand in front of it to turn it on and off. It also has an LED light indicator and audible alert that tell you when it’s time to change the filter, so you don’t have to remember to mark the calendar.
You can install it quickly onto your existing faucet with the diverter valve. Conversion kits (and optional faucets) are available from the company website if you choose to mount it under the counter and out of the way.
This water filtration system ensures that your water is clean and full of molecular hydrogen, which is a powerful antioxidant.
Things to consider: The drawbacks to this unit are that you will notice that pH is limited to a narrow range of 9-9.5 and the filter life is much shorter than most.
But, if you only want a way to create alkaline drinking water at home, that is exactly what this little beauty does. You may not get some of the extra features of the other models, but if you don’t need them, then why pay extra?
5. Life Ionizer MXL-9 Counter Top Alkaline Water Ionizer
- pH Range: 2.0 – 11.5
- Plates: 9
- Type: Countertop
- Filter Life: 8 months
- Filter Cost: $70 each (2 need)
- Size: 12.5 x 6.2 x 15 inches
- Cost: $$$
Top Features: Best in class
The Life Ionizer MXL-9 alkaline water machine features new and improved technology that results in more efficient ionization of your drinking water. It features nine extra-large plates, each dipped eight times in platinum to ensure strength and purity. It’s adjustable up to 500 watts to give you purified, ionized water when you need it.
This water ionizer provides convenient access to drinking water, right on your countertop. But the best part about it is its sleek design. It’s black and stylish, fitting into a variety of kitchen styles.
This water ionizer should last for a lifetime. That means you won’t have to worry about purchasing another unit if you invest in this model. Life Ionizer put the filters at the top of the unit for one-click easy access when it’s time to change them. Coupled with the custom filtration system, these features make this unit is one of the best on the market.
Under the Counter Alkaline Water Machines
This next section we include the under-the-counter models. The main difference between the 2 types is the controls will be easier to access from the top faucet unit, with the bulkier parts of the unit are hidden under your sink.
6. Life Ionizer MXL-15 Under Counter Alkaline Water Ionizer
- pH Range: 1.7 pH – 12.2 pH
- ORP Range: Up to -1000
- Plates: 15
- Type: Under Counter
- Filter Cost:
- Size: 12.5 x 6.2 x 15 inches
- Cost: $$$$
Top Features: Larger families that need extra filtration
The Life Ionizer MXL-15 is much like the MXL-9, but it has 15 treated plates for strength and durability instead of the MXL-9’s nine. It is adjustable up to 800 watts and can produce more optimal pH and ORP levels than any other water ionizer on the market.
This is an ideal solution for large families or individuals with health problems. It has a huge chamber, meaning your water spends longer in the ionization chamber getting purified, cleaned, and ionized. That extra processing time means you’ll reap more health benefits.
This system also features one-click filters that are located at the top of the unit, making them easy to change. Installation is quick and simple, the system is sleek, and the controls are easy to understand and operate.
7. Tyent UCE-11 Under Counter Water Ionizer
- pH Range: 2.0 pH – 12 pH
- ORP Range: Up to -1050
- Plates: 11
- Type: Under Counter
- Filter Cost: Set of 2 – $129
- Size: 18.5 x 17.5 x 8 inches
- Cost: $$$
Top Features: Tyent USA has a long reputation in the industry. Their water ionizers are top of the line.
This Tyent UCE-11 water ionizer features a dual ultra filtration model that removes 99.9% of contaminants, which is higher than its competitors’. It’s designed for high-end kitchens with a sleek look and elegant controls. Its fast flow rate means it can keep up with your water consumption, no matter how heavy, and it was voted the best water ionizer of the year for six consecutive years.
This is a high-end, reliable water ionizer that is durable and safe. It’s aesthetically pleasing in any kitchen and has an interactive touchscreen that makes for seamless usability. You can manually adjust your settings to control pH levels and other factors with the press of a button. There are 55 settings to choose from, easily making this the most advanced water ionizer on the market for customization.
The 11 titanium plates are dipped in platinum and then baked for extra strength and durability. It has four alkaline power settings, three acidic power settings, a turbo setting for increased alkaline or acidic output, and one neutral power setting. It also has a flood prevention sensor and a self-cleaning mode.
Things to consider: This product is at the top of our price point, so while it has the most features, it is also the most expensive choice.
However, if you are looking for a high-end product with the widest range of pH and water filtration options then the Tyent Under Counter Water Ionizer may your best bet.
Now that you have a good idea of the features for our top-rated water ionizers, we’ll cover the frequently asked questions.
What Exactly Are Alkaline Water Machines?
Very simply, an alkaline water machine transforms regular tap water to the optimal pH level for our bodies. PH actually stands for potential of hydrogen. A higher pH liquid has fewer free hydrogen ions.
The pH values range from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Anything lower than 7 is acidic, anything higher is alkaline. To give you a frame of reference, milk has a pH of 7.0 whereas most sodas or juices have a pH of about 3.
What Features Are Important When Selecting an Alkaline Water Ionizer?
Features that focus on functionality
- Adjustable pH Levels. The control panel should be easy to read and adjust so you can switch between acidic water for cleaning, slightly alkaline water for drinking, and higher alkaline levels for cooking.
- Number & Type of Plates. When comparing water ionizers, this is very important. A large number of plates will be a more powerful machine and typically work faster, however, more is not always better. Water needs a certain amount of time to be filtered, so there is a balance between adequate filtering, flow rate, and the quality of the alkalized water.
- ORP Range. The ORP is the oxygen reduction potential or potential of antioxidants. When measuring ORP, water with a negative ORP has better healing properties. For example, soda has an ORP range of +500 to +600 while antioxidant-rich water has a range of -150 to -450.
Features that focus on convenience
- Easy to Read Controls. A backlit panel that shows you what cycle it is on, so you do not draw water while it is rinsing.
- Placement. Whether the alkaline water ionizer sits on top of your counter or is installed under the sink cabinet can be a deciding factor for many.
- Filter Life and Cost. The replacement cost of the water filter is an important consideration when purchasing a water ionizer. You will also want to factor in the life of each filter.
How do Alkaline Water Ionizers Work?
Alkaline water ionizer machines typically attach to your faucet which is very convenient. These machines will filter and alter the pH balance of your tap water. The filter is typically an activated carbon filter that will remove impurities and pollutants from the water.
The pH balance is changed by running the water through a process called electrolysis. This process splits the hydrogen ions and minerals in the water. The machine will produce the transformed water in 2 water streams – alkaline water for drinking and oxidized water which can be used for cleaning.
Watch this simple video to get an understanding on how electrolysis works.
Why Are There Such Big Variations in Price?
There are 3 main types of alkaline water machines which are in vastly different price ranges. There are also important optional features which will affect the price in a big way. The first reason for the big differences in price is there are different types of alkaline water machines. We will review the cost and major features of each type.
1. Alkaline Water Ionizers or Alkaline Water Machines
Many manufactures will use these two terms interchangeably or combine both in the product name. Some examples include:
- Aqua-Ionizer Deluxe 7 Plate Alkaline Water Ionizer and Alkaline Water Machine
- New Cell Ionizer and Alkaline Water Machine
These are the machines that will both filter and change the water’s pH value by running it through an electromagnetic field. This is also known as electrolysis which ionizes the water. In this category, you will find two big price ranges:
- Countertop models. Most systems will sit on top of the counter next to the faucet. These units are priced from about $650 to $2,000
- Under Cabinet models. The higher-end units will fit under your sink cabinet. These are generally priced over $2,000
Additional price fluctuations are seen based on the number of plates and materials used in the water ionizer. A higher number of plates will normally equate to a higher price tag.
2. Reverse Osmosis Systems
A reverse osmosis system is very different from the water ionizers. A reverse osmosis system runs the water through several very fine filters. Each filter has a purpose. One will remove trace minerals, contaminants, and sediment. Another will add back calcium and magnesium minerals. The end result is slightly alkaline water free of impurities.
Reverse Osmosis Home Systems have a much lower price tag average about $200-400. You can view our comparison table of the most popular reverse osmosis home systems here.
3. Alkaline Water Filter Pitchers
An alkaline water pitcher is a basic water filter that also has the ability to alkalize your drinking water. Two big differences between these types of water filters are they do not hook up to your sink or have adjustable ORP or pH levels of the water.
On the plus side, they do a good job of removing impurities from your drinking water. They are also a good portable choice. For example, if you are traveling, they are easy to pack up and bring with you. The downside is you have to keep filing them up. The water holding capacity of alkaline water filter pitchers is anywhere from 10 cups to 4 gallons depending on your price point.
The prices for a basic alkaline water pitcher type filter range from about $30 to $130. For more information and a comparison chart of the top selling models, read our article on Alkaline Water Filter Pitchers.
What Are The Benefits of Alkaline Water?
Increasing the pH of our drinking water has been said to have many health benefits. Here are just a few of the ways it can help.
- Better Hydration: The smaller water clusters are absorbed more easily into your body hydrating it much faster than ordinary water
- Power Source of Antioxidants: Drinking alkaline or ionized water can help to neutralize free radicals in your body that can cause diseases to flourish.
- Relieve Acid Reflux: Some doctors prescribe drinking water with a higher alkaline level to treat reflux disease.
Read more about the Top 10 Alkaline Water Benefits to discover how it can help you in your journey for better health.
Which Alkaline Water Machine Is The Best Value For The Money?
Based on a combination of factors, we believe the Aqua-Ionizer Deluxe 7 Plate Alkaline Water Ionizer is the best buy.
We reviewed the cost, features, and overall customer feedback of the top 7 alkaline water machines in the mid-range market. The Aqua-Ionizer by Air Life was the clear choice as the best value. Not only was the system reasonably priced, and had very competitive features with even the higher priced units, but the company’s customer service is excellent.
When you are making an investment like buying an alkaline water ionizer, you want to be sure you can rely on the company. It’s very reassuring to know if you do happen to have any questions or experience problems, help is just a phone call away.
Customer Reviews for the Aqua-Ionizer Deluxe 7 Plate Alkaline Water Machine
What are customers saying about the Aqua-Ionizer Deluxe 7 Plate model?
- A great value for the price. This product has received many great comments on the price of the unit as compared to others on the market. They feel they have received a good value.
- Excellent customer service. Almost everyone agrees that the customer service is outstanding. Even when small issues come up they were handled promptly by very helpful staff.
- A quality product. After using the aqua-ionizer for months, customers are happy with their purchase, so it holds up to the test of time.
- Easy to Install. Installation is reported to be very easy and can be completed in a short amount of time.
- pH levels are good. Many folks have tested the water produced by the Aqua-Ionizer Deluxe, and it has consistently been shown to produce alkaline water which is of course one of the most important things to know before you purchase. This machine does what they say it does.
Our favorite model is the Aqua-Ionizer Deluxe since it met our requirements for providing good quality alkaline water as well as being reasonably priced. We also like the fact that there is an under-counter kit available, so you can free up that valuable counter space.
However, there are still several other good models on the market today. Our second favorite model is the Bawell Platinum Alkaline Water Ionizer Machine. Bawell is an incredibly respected brand in the field of water filters.
This model is a little pricier, but if you have the budget, it’s a great unit with some expanded features. The Bawell Platinum 2195 has an expanded pH range with 8 pre-programmed levels, a long-lasting SMPS power system, a 2 stage internal filter system, and even has a voice reminder right from the control panel. Imagine a water filter that talks to you – now that’s impressive!
Are you ready to start experiencing better health with an alkaline water machine?