Having fresh, clean water to drink everyday makes for a healthy body. Much of the water that flows from the tap is not as clean as you think. While it meets minimum standards of cleanliness in most areas of the United States most of us would be a little shocked at what is lurking in our kitchen faucets.
If you want to ensure your family is drinking clean, pure water then a countertop filtration system is an affordable option for almost any budget. With so many options in to choose it may seem overwhelming to make such a purchase. To help you out here is a comparison of three different units, their features, and their pros and cons to help you decide which brand is right for you
Table of Contents
- 1 What To Consider Before You Buy
- 2 A Review of the Best Gravity Countertop Water Filter Systems
- 3 Comparison Table of our Favorite Countertop Water Pitchers
- 4 Clean Water for Cleaner Living
What To Consider Before You Buy
Before you start shopping here are a few guidelines to get you started:
- Find out what is in your city’s drinking water – you can read a water quality report from the Environmental Protection Agency for your state. The EPA’s website publishes the contact information for community water systems in the United States. Knowing what contaminants might be in your water is the first step in deciding what kind of countertop filtration system to purchase.
- Determine how much water you will consume every day on average – most countertop filtration systems are designed for a family of one to six people, plus a pet or two. A family of ten with two or three dogs and a cat will need more water than a countertop model can provide.
- Pick up some pH strips to see how alkaline your tap water is – it should be at least a 7 on the pH scale, and if it is lower, you have acidic water. This is not what you want. More alkaline water has several health benefits, and a counter-top water filtration system can help you ensure your water has a proper pH.
- Space – do you have adequate counter space to accommodate a water filtration system? If not, you might want to consider an under the sink model.
A Review of the Best Gravity Countertop Water Filter Systems
I have selected three of the top selling countertop water filtration systems to review in a range of prices to make finding the right one for your needs a little easier. These are all gravity water filters, so no electricity is needed.
Zen Water Systems 4 Gallon Countertop Water Filter System
This is one of the best countertop water filtration systems on the market for around $80. Most users have nothing but good things to say about the unit and whenever they had a problem, were happy to receive good customer service to resolve it.
- A five-step filtration system that removes sediment, chlorine, pesticides and bacteria from tap water
- It is compact and stylish with a great spout for dispensing the water.
- Makes very clean, pure alkalized water using healthy mineral stones with calcium, zinc, and magnesium.
- No electricity required
- The filters are inexpensive to replace, last a long time and the company provides great customer service
- Minimal maintenance required
- This unit is somewhat time-consuming to set up. Read the instructions carefully and follow them. You will need to boil and rinse the mineral stones and run two cycles before you consume the water it produces
- It does not make the water very quickly, but that’s because it has such an extensive filtration system. The first time you use the Zen countertop water filter, it may take 12 hours to fill the basin. After that, the time will be considerably less, but may still take 3 or more hours.
- Replacement parts and filters have to be ordered from the company directly. They are available on the Zen Water Filter’s page.
Click here to read more about the Zen Water Systems Countertop Filtration System.
Santevia Counter Top Water Filtration System
This model is on the medium end of the price scale at $180. However, when you consider the cost of buying bottled water over and over, this will pay for itself after a year.
This is a gravity-powered system that not only cleans your tap with a multi-filter system but also re-mineralizes the water to make it more alkaline, which has many health benefits.
The Santevia Gravity Water System goes through an 8 stage system to filter the water:
- Ceramic Pre-filter removes minerals sediment and bacteria
- Granular activated coconut carbon filters chlorine, pesticides, chemicals and heavy metals. This stage also improves ORP.
- Volcanic Mineral Zeolite stage inhibits bacteria & neutralizes heavy metals through an ion exchange process
- Mineral Stone Infusion promotes oxygenation & alkalinizes
- pH Mineral Balls add calcium, magnesium to further increase Ph
- Energy Balls to assist in balancing Ph and energize the water
- Mineral Stone Immersion to release ionized minerals
- Magnetic Energy breaks the water molecules into smaller clusters for better absorption
- Crystal clear great tasting water – users of this system, even those who had issues with their unit, say the water is incredibly clean, odor free and taste good.
- Filters and alkalizes – the more filters the cleaner your water gets. Having good minerals put back in the water before you drink it is an added bonus.
- No electricity needed – lightweight and fairly easy (but time-consuming) to set up
- Great customer service – most people who contacted the company reported they given good help and were able to get replacement parts promptly
- Leaks – that was one of the most common complaints from those who have the unit. Leaks around the faucet seemed to be from improper installation. The worst complaint was that the storage unit leaked all over the counter and floors. Others reported that it only leaks it you don’t fill it all the way to the top
- Hard to change filters – several reviewers of this system carped about how long it took to replace the filters
Most of the reviews of this unit were very favorable. Since it is one of the more expensive models, you can bet people are going to complain loudly if it doesn’t live up to the investment. Since the customer service seems to be top-notch, the Santevia model is a good choice if you are serious about saving money over the long-term on bottled water and filters.
Berkey Travel Stainless Steel Water Filtration System with 2 Black Filter Elements
The Berkey Water Filter is at the top of the price and might stretch your budget a little. It normally retails between $228 and $250. The reason for the higher price is the materials. It is made from stainless seal which most people prefer over a plastic unit.
Although the Berkey water filters are higher priced than some, most people think it’s worth the cost. They consistently get some of the highest customer reviews.
The travel size Berkey is good for a smaller family of up to four. Many also take this size on vacation or even on camping trips. They also make larger sizes like the Big Berkey which holds 2.1 gallons of water and the Royal Berkey that holds 3 gallons.
- Made from stainless steel. The only plastic is inside the spigot. This is a huge selling point for most people since the stainless steel will last a lifetime and not impact that “plastic taste” you get with some water filters.
- Filters water fast at up to 2.75 gallons per hour
- When not in use the upper chamber fits inside the lower section, so is only 12 inches in height. This makes it easy to pack if you want to take it with you on a trip.
- Testing was performed by independent EPA laboratories and results exceeded the EPA standards.
- The storage capacity is smaller than the other 2 units at 1.5 gallons
- A few people complained that the filter started leaking from the spigot after several months. If you overtighten the plastic wing nuts you can strip the threads causing the leak. You can buy replacements parts directly on the Berkey website.
- Care must also be taken when filling the unit. It is recommended to not overfill the top compartment when the bottom compartments are not empty, or this could also cause leaks. It is important to read the instructions that come with the unit to prevent this type of problem.
Comparison Table of our Favorite Countertop Water Pitchers
Following is a comparison table of the important features you should consider when purchasing a water filter pitcher for your kitchen.
|Zen Countertop Water Filter||Santevia Counter Top Water System||Travel Berkey Water Filter|
|Product Links||Click to see more information||Click to see more Information||Click to see more information|
|Capacity||4 Gallons||4 Gallons||1.5 Gallons|
|Material||BPA Free Plasitc||BPA Free Plasitc||Stainless Steel|
|Filter Process||5 Functions: Filters, Purifies, Mineralizes, Alkalinizes, Magnetizes||8 stage purification process||Unique filter process using microfiltration, absorption and an Ion exchange process.|
Removes 100% pathogens
|Measurments||12.5"D x 22"H||12.25"D x 23.5"H||7.5"D x 18"H|
|Weight||6.5 pounds||8.6 pounds||6 pounds|
|Filter Life||Ceramic filter:1,000 gallons or 1 yr |
5-Stage Filter: 500 gallons or 6 months
Mafia Mineral Stones is 3 to 5 yrs
|Ceramic pre-filter: 1 yr|
5-Stage Filter: 6 months
Mineral Stones: 2-5 yrs
|3,000 gallons per filter element|
About 3 yrs (1k gallon a year)
|Replacement Filter Cost||Ceramic Dome (about $15)|
5 Stage Cartridge (about $20-22)
Mineral Stones ($13-20)
|Ceramic PreFilter ($30-35)|
5 stage ultrasonic filter (about $35)
Mineral Stones ($30-35)
|$100-110 (set of 2 black filter cartridges)|
***Note: All prices are estimates at the time of this publication and are subject to change
Clean Water for Cleaner Living
Countertop filtration systems are a very good option for those a lot of reasons. If you are renting and cannot install a permanent unit, if you have limited space under your cabinets or just want to have an easy alternative to buying bottled, then one of these countertop models makes sense.
To have access to pure, clean alkalized water for drinking, washing produce and cooking is essential for good health. Anytime you are drinking more water, that’s an investment in yourself that everyone should make.